Pages

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Pottery Barn Chalkboard Rock Vase Filler Hack

***
 This is a stale post.  Don't you smell the stank?
For fresh ideas and the newest new new stuff 
why don't you head on over to the blog we actually update.

Love to see you there.
Carry on as you were.

***  

So one of the newbies at PB online
Is a vase full of awesomeness. aka chalkboard rocks.
I would never pay $16 for 4 black rocks.
No matter how smooth they are.
Granted, they are black rocks that you can write on with special little white sticks.

And yes, PB designers, if you "season" your chalkboards,
they won't have ghost letters for years to come.
Although, maybe, that is the look you are going for?
Halloween theme and all.

But I do still have this big old basket of rocks

Pinehurst Summer Harvest Week 2
Photo (c) b3 home designs

And I am certain that there are some smooth ones in that grouping.
So help me God.

And a while ago, I went to the Habitat Home Improvement Outlet in So. Seattle. And on their paint shelf...next to the heirloom white and butter yellow minis, they had a quart of chalkboard paint.

When I went to check out, the checker tried to tell me
"Where did you get this?  I don't think it is for sell. I think this is our chalkboard paint"

I looked around and saw all the chalkboard decor. 
Got it.
Said nothing.
He got a clue.
Sold me the quart and understood if he didn't want something to be sold
it shouldn't be set on the shelf.
Especially on the PAINT shelf.
I could see if I had picked it up in the nail section.
I picked it up in the paint section.

And so like everyone else, it is time for another chalkboard project.
Hack commenced.

Break out the contraband chalkboard paint.

 Habitat store chalkboard paint
Photo (c) b3 home designs
Start with a super sized (paper plate sized) rock and slap on the paint
Preferably, with a sponge brush
Continue with much more reasonable sized rocks

Various painted rocks
Photo (c) b3 home designs

Give PB props for realizing that smooth rocks are so much easier
to paint and chalk up
than knubbly rocks are

Once dry, SEASON your chalkboards people!
No matter how pretty those smooth hard black rocks look

Smooth black, rough black and seasoned rocks
 Photo (c) b3 home designs

If you don't season your rocks by scribbling them up with chalk
rubbing that chalk in
and then wiping it off
you will see your first message
forever
and ever
and really
who wants that?

Finished and scribbled chalkboard rocks
Photo (c) b3 home designs

Especially when you write stuff like this on them.

PB Hacked | Chalkboard Rocks
Photo (c) b3 home designs

Throw them in a vase (gently, of course)
and call it done.

for various places you can use your rocks in your home
I used the big one on my kitchen window sill
after I scribbled 

i
[heart]
u

on it.
awww...
how sappy.

Your turn.  Show me your rocks!

This one is totally Easy. 
DIY addicts already have chalkboard paint on hand.
Or know where you can get some at a similar ReStore|Habitat type shop for super cheap. 
Or use your Mike's or Jo's coupon and get some there for super cheap.

Dig up some smooth rocks.
Or buy them at said crafty store.
Break out the sponge brush and slap on the paint.
Or just drop them in the can and fish them out later.
Whatever floats your boat.

9 comments:

  1. I kid you not, I was just looking for stones earlier today to do this! Yours turned out great, I'm going to find myself some for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow I missed seeing those in the catalog - they're awesome! I'll be making those this week! Thanks for sharing! Visiting from CSI.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha!!! I saw those on PB's site last night and wondered who would pay that much for rocks. Kudos to you for pulling it off on your own. :) Visiting from The CSI Project. Hope you'll stop by and visit me too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you are so smart and sneaky to be the first one on the world wide web with this faux PB project! Good for you! I wonder how many folks will actually shell out the cash for those things?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I live 100 yards from a beach full of large (and small) pebbles washed smooth by the ocean. Can you guess where I am going today? What is 'seasoning'?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw these on their site and had to make them too. I changed them a little by turning them into magnets for my son's room. I need to get a chalk pen to be able to write on them better. Oh I love all your rocks on your other post too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG - thanks so much for this idea. I'm totally going to make these this weekend. So cool! I have some pink chalkboard paint that I can use, too! Love the 'get milk' rock - so so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so funny! This is a great project, I'm totally going to do it. Thank you for a fun project, and the giggle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just saw these on Pinterest. FABULOUS idea. Now off to search for smooth rocks in the garden!
    Lowri
    http://papervinenz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Brilliant, huh? Glad you think so (smile). Tell me something good.